A leaked poll by an Iraqi university research team on behalf of the British government is creating quite a stir since it directly conflicts with statements that there is wide support for the invasion. In some areas, the support for suicide bombings against occupying forces spikes to 65%. Other poll numbers easily indicate the rosy news being told at home doesn’t stack up with reality (thanks Joe Stump):
* 82% of Iraqis are “strongly opposed” to the presence of coalition troops
* Less than 1% of the Iraqi population believes coalition troops are responsible for any improvement in the country
* 67% of Iraqis feel less secure because of the occupation
* 43% of Iraqis believe conditions for peace and stability have worsened
* 72% do not have confidence in the multi-national forces.
You know, at this point, I’d rather not bother saying anything more. I want one of our tokenreaders to spin this for us in the comments. Come on and tell us all just how wrong we are to want to leave this country that doesn’t want us there.
Tell us how spreading democracy in Iraq logically ignores 82% of those who don’t want us there.
Because I call bullshit.