Here’s a little round-up of the more uh… “liberal” articles on Reagan, depending on if your definition of “liberal” is. Let’s just say “liberal” in this sense means not trying to hump Reagan’s casket for political gain.
- AlterNet has an article called , which explores Reagan’s rise to power: “Within 20 minutes of his inauguration, Iran freed the hostages that wimpy Jimmy Carter had been unable to rescue. I was 11 years old at the time and impressed but baffled. How had he done it?” Republican magic, derr.
- Another goodie from AlterNet in : “… Ed Meese (“You don’t have many suspects who are innocent of a crime”), … ‘The bombing begins in five minutes,’ $640 Pentagon toilet seats, … ‘Facts are stupid things,’ …” Yeah, stupid facts, why you always trying to muscle into my political strategy.
- Slate has a roundup of the international press’s take on Reagan’s death in “Never a Gray Moment”: “[H]is legacy affected President George W. Bush, who ‘would not have torn Iraq away from the ‘axis of evil’ had it not been for the startling victory of Reagan when he moved against the ‘evil empire’ [the Soviet Union].'”
- And again with Slate, where Christopher Hitchens pretty much says it like it was in “Not Even a Hedgehog”: “He could have had anyone in the world to dinner, any night of the week, but took most of his meals on a White House TV tray. He had no friends, only cronies. His children didn’t like him all that much.”
- And to wrap this up, proof that Reagan’s Alzheimer’s is contagious: This Gallup article/poll shows that people love Reagan more now than they did when he was actually the president. Personally, I can’t wait to start loving Bush in the same light.
Ronald Reagan is Dead, Long Live the Republican Party!