Jimmie Mac of AngryFinger.org has put together a good timeline on the events leading up to Nick Berg’s death:
- 3/07/04 FreeRepublic.com released on it’s forum a post called, on that list is Nick Berg’s father and the name of their company Michael S. Berg, Teacher, Prometheus Methods Tower Service, Inc., West Chester, PA. When Nick went back to Iraq in March he traveled with his passport for business purposes under the name “Prometheus Methods Tower Service.”
- 3/24/04 Nick Berg’s daily communications home stopped on March 24, when he was jailed by Iraqi officials at a checkpoint in Mosul.
- 3/31/04 FBI agents visited Berg’s parents in West Chester on March 31 and told the family they were trying to confirm their son’s identity.
- 4/05/04 The Bergs filed suit in federal court in Philadelphia, contending that their son was being held illegally by the U.S. military in Iraq.
- 4/06/04 The next day, April 6, Nick Berg was released.
- 5/11/04 Video of Nick Berg’s execution is posted on Muntada al-Ansar website.
- 5/12/04 Americans deny holding Berg despite claims by family; body returns home
- 5/13/04 E-Mail From Consul Confirms Berg Was in U.S. Military Hands: “I have confirmed that your son, Nick, is being detained by the U.S. military in Mosul. He is safe. He was picked up approximately one week ago. We will try to obtain additional information regarding his detention and a contact person you can communicate with directly,” the e-mail said.
He thinks there is something shady about the US denying holding Nick Berg in military custody (which does seem incredibly suspect):
Why was the US Military so adamant about denying having Nick Berg in custody? When even the US consulate in Iraq says he was in US Military custody.
He says he’ll keep updating the timeline as new information comes to light.
Nick Berg’s Iraq Timeline [AngryFinger.org]