This ad was pulled (or not, as my sources indicate), not because it’s an egregious slap in the face of our twang-accented brethren, but because they got caught. Here’s the casting call, provided by Wonkette (I miss Anna Marie Cox):
– We are going for a ‘Hicky’ Blue Collar look. These characters are from West Virginia so think coal miner/trucker looks
– Each character should bring a several options and stay away from all black or all white or thin stripes (thicker stripes and plaid are good)
– Clothing Suggestions:
• Work boots
• Flannel shirt
• Denim shirt
• Dickie’s type jacket with t-shirt underneath
• Down filled vest
• John Deer hats (not brand new, preferably beat up)
• Trucker hats (not brand new, preferably beat up)
• No Thin Stripes
Apparently the guys they hired are off Broadway actors as well, playing the part of hokey work-a-day men from West Virginia. Words can’t describe how utterly ridiculous this whole charade must sound to people who actually live in the intended target audience area. Don’t worry… you’re not being crassly manipulated or anything.
What’s next, Democrats smugly marketing to liberals, blacks and arabs with some smooth talking chap from Chicago? Make sure in his ads he’s wearing thin stripes.
UPDATE: The Democrats aren’t strangers to casting calls either, as evidenced by a literal casting call by MTV for a “Town Hall” meeting:
PRESIDENT OBAMA TOWN HALL, DC MTV, BET, and CMT (prods.) are casting the audience for a town hall meeting with President Obama. Shooting Oct. 14 at 4 p.m. in Washington, DC. Seeking—Audience Members: males and females, 18+. To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Town Hall” in the subject line. To ensure that the audience represents diverse interests and political views, include your name, phone number, hometown, school attending, your job and what issues, if any, you are …[more]
It’s like Democrats are Jersey Shore to the Republicans Beverly Hillbillies.